RYA First Aid Course
RYA First Aid Course (£70 for non-members and £50 for members)
This one-day course covers all the usual first aid subjects, but from a boating perspective. It is aimed at anyone who goes afloat, whether on inland waters, rivers, estuaries or on cross channel passages.
In a medical emergency, a little first aid knowledge and immediate action can save lives, especially in remote locations. This one-day course is designed to provide a working knowledge of first aid for people using small craft and to support skippers. It fulfils the requirements for:
- professional skippers working under the Maritime and Coastguard Agency Codes of Practice for Small Vessels Operated Commercially;
- the Senior First Aid certificate needed by offshore racers subject to World Sailing's regulations on first aid training (OSR 4.08.4);
- the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations, 1981 for the purposes of Emergency First Aid at Work.
The subjects specific to boating include:
- the recovery position in a confined space
- CPR, including the drowning protocol
- cold shock and hypothermia from immersion and/or exposure
- seasickness and dehydration
- medical assistance or advice by VHF
- helicopter rescue
Dates and times of each course are listed HERE
Last updated 2:55pm on 23 March 2021